Art of Cooking Week 1 Reflection - Sarah Seeliger

Week One Reflection - Sarah Seeliger

Last week was the first week of the Art of  Cooking J - Term, and I feel as though I have learned a lot. Right from the start, I learned about new techniques that I had no idea about beforehand, such as different ways to cut vegetables. Some other techniques I have learned include, but are most definitely not limited to the following: different ways to cook eggs, how to temper eggs, the proper way to make a crust for dishes such as  quiches and pies, how to devein shrimp, and much more. It has been quite enjoyable to have our amazing chefs, Jessica and Avril, show us these things. Something even more fun is the fact that I get to practice the things I have learned and make delicious food. 

Another thing that I learned about in Art of Cooking in the past week was about different cultures. I learned about Korean culture on the first day of term by making a Korean dish. I had heard of the dish a few times before, but had never tried it, much less made it. After learning how to make the dish and trying it, I felt as though I had learned a little bit more about Korea and what people eat there. 

All of the things I have learned so far are very important to me. The reason that they are so important is because now, I feel a bit more confident in the kitchen, and I know how to cook interesting things. Before I started the Art of Cooking J - Term, I didn't know a lot about cooking technique, and I didn't realize how interesteed eI actually am in cooking and cullinary - related things. My dad is a very good chef, and he would try to teach me things, but the lack of hands on experience made cooking very boring. Now that I know technique and have had copious amounts of hands on practice, I have realized the enjoyment I recieve out of cooking. Because of what I have learned so far in Art of Cooking, I am able to try new recipies and continue to enjoy cooking. 


Comments